"If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you."

Monday, April 2, 2012

Humbling Experiences: My First Time On Stage @ Busboys & Poets


I feel as if God has me in training ...for something.  I really do!  Among all of the events He has had me do, last Tuesday, March 27, 2012, I took to the stage at Busboys & Poets on 14th St. & V St. for the very first time.  Mind you, I have been frequenting the Busboys Open Mic sessions for years and have never built up the courage to get on stage because I am very critical about what people think of my poetry.  When I write poetry, I write in a way that allows people of all ages to relate and be impacted.  Although, it isn't as simple as "Roses are red and violets are blue, " I never had the desire to write "so deep" that people couldn't fully grasp my meaning.  All in all though, my message was well received ...as you can see in the video.

It was like, ever since I prayed to God, the week prior, to give me the tools to do what He would have me to do, ...I've been able to "turn off" fear.  Well, to be honest, I think it began in 2009 when my pastor asked me to bring forth the message (I don't necessarily call it preaching for humility purposes lol) for a Youth Day Service.  I spoke on "Facing Your Fears."  That message was so beneficial for me because that's exactly what I was doing.  I was paralyzed with fear when asked to stand in that pulpit.and I faced my fear!  ....but I digress!

Soooo last Tuesday was my first time on stage and after speaking at the DC Trayvon Rally at Freedom Plaza the Saturday before and the Candlelight Vigil the following Monday, I was on a "Poetic Activism" high!  The Trayvon Martin case has really plucked my heart strings and I still am high strung on calling people to action and getting people involved in this movement ...all with the poem I wrote, "Who Will Cry For The Little Boy, Trayvon Martin?".  I don't plan on stopping.  We have a ways to to go and I just believe that everyone has the capacity and wherewithal to make a difference with the gifts and talents that God has given them!

Until next time... get involved!  You'll regret it if you don't!

Christoph Writes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment using either Facebook or Blogspot. Either way, leave a comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...