"If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you."

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Humbling Experiences: I Shared My Poem @ The Candlelight Vigil for Trayvon Martin on 14th & Park Rd NW

This week has been a week like never before.  My life has been been somewhat redirected in someway.  And this redirection has nothing to do with MY WILL.  I truly believe that God has taken control of my life's compass.  I never would have thought that I would be standing in the center of hundreds of people on 14th & Park Rd. NW, Washington, DC in Columbia Heights, advocating for a justice through my poetry.  One can't just conjure up events like this and say they're going to make them happen.

This took place this past Monday, two days after I spoke in front of thousands of people in front of the Wilson Building, in downtown D.C. at Freedom Plaza, on Pennsylvania Ave.  The authorities had to literally shut down several blocks for safety precautions.  When I arrived, there were cars passing through like it was a regular Saturday afternoon.  Moments later, people started to come in droves chanting, singing, causing traffic to build.  Then the police began to assemble and started blocking off the streets so no vehicles could pass through.

Not too many people can say that they stood next to prominent activists and advocated for justice in front of thousands of people.  I don't say this to gloat.  I say ...or write this to say that I thank God for giving me the strength and forthright to do such "scary" things.  There was a time, not too long ago, that I probably would have turned down the opportunity to speak in front of so many people.  In front of my church? ...no problem.  In front of thousands of people with cameras? ...who have plans of broadcasting me across the world? ...WOW!!!  I don't think so!

I'm just being transparent with you right now.  I'm being very honest, when I say that I had to simply say to God, in prayer, "If you want me to complete these assignments (because that's what these events/experiences are; assignments from God), I'm going to need YOU to give me the tools and resources to get the job done.  I can't do what YOU"RE asking me to do with what I have.  If I have it already, I need YOU to reveal it to me because I don't see it."

God did just that.  Before I knew it, I was standing in front of thousands of people on Saturday and then on Monday I stood in the center of a few hundred of people, reciting the poem I wrote for Trayvon Martin, "Who Will Cry For The Little Boy, Trayvon Martin?".  The message was well received ...even though it was so cold I was getting cotton mouth because of the cold, dry wind that kept blowing.  I met a few people.  I enjoyed myself.  Now, I'm on to the next assignment God has for me.  God bless!

Until next time...follow God's plan for your life!

 Christoph Writes...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment using either Facebook or Blogspot. Either way, leave a comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...