"If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you."

Monday, March 26, 2012

Testimonial Poetry: "My Baby Girl," The Love of a Grieving Mother

One of my good friends from college (Norfolk State University) contacted me on Facebook.  She asked if I would do her a favor.  I said, "Sure, of course."  She asked if I had time to personalize a poem for her.  I told her that it wouldn't be a problem.  I asked her what about.  She told me ...and I sat there.  Where ever I was sitting, I sat frozen with disbelief.  She told me that she had given birth to a beautiful baby girl...that passed away two days after. And she wanted me to write a poem that could be read at her baby's homegoing.  I sat there and I quickly tried to gather myself.  I cannot imagine how she and her husband must feel.  My heart goes out to her.

I gathered myself, somewhat, and I offered her my condolences.  Then I realized that I had to ask her to do something that may spark an emotional roller coaster for her.  In order for me to write a personalized poem that really "works," I had to ask her to talk about her beloved daughter.  I requested that she email me her thoughts towards her daughter, the dreams she had for her, the plans her and her husband had for her, and so on.  That was difficult for me... but she did send the email and this is what she said about her daughter...
"My daughter's name is Brook'lynn Barbara Jean Hawkins and she is beautiful...she was gonna be my first girl...I was so excited to dress her and play with her and experience the life of a girl...my mini me! She was gonna be everything I was and so much more...a star...she lived 2 days and in those 2 days she had the fight of a lion in her spirit...i could see it already! she had fire, power, & strength in her eyes already. 
She was a fighter...she was on a oxygen machine and she was even fighting that. She was gonna be tough like her Mom. My husband and I were so excited for her...as we both have other children. We were ready to do with her what we had not done with our other relationships and children...doing it together...completing our family. I wanted so much for her! I just knew she was gonna have a powerful tongue like her mother and use it to go so much further...she was gonna be anything and everything she wanted to be! For my husband this was too a big deal...his first child all the way from beginning to end with...for her to go so quickly pains me to see him hurting so! Our daughter Brook'lynn was...is...our rock! She was loved by so many."
 This was perfect!  A few days later, replied to her email with an email of my own with the personalized poem attached.  And it reads as so...
"My Baby Girl"
Brook’lynn Barbara Jean meant…and stills means the world to me. My first baby girl was destined to be …a better version of me. Thoughts of her, urges me to pray and say thank you for allowing me to have known her in her first 48. Two days straight, she fought…brought tears to my eyes to know that my daughter was a fighter. Her light shined brighter than the sun does at its first rise. She had fire, power, and strength in her eyes. My husband and I share the same sentiments. The memories of Brook’lynn are intimate. She was and is our most cherished dream and reality. Out of what we have in common she is our most treasured commonality. She is our rock and was loved by many. Though it may seem like the end, in heaven it’s the beginning.
 The homegoing for Baby Brook'lynn Barbara Jean Hawkins was today and when I signed on to Facebook, the poem that I personalized was posted to my friend's profile page.  That let me know that she was satisfied!

Until next time...tell someone you love them!

Christoph Writes...

4 comments:

  1. Phenomenal! Definitely a light in a dark time. My prayers go out to Baby Brooklyn's family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Brook'lynn's MotherMarch 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM

      Thank you Kim for your prayers and yes you are right, this dark time my friend Christoph has helped to restore a piece of my heart! Some people never know/realize the magnitude of their blessing to someone and I hope this story helps shine light on someone else as well!

      Delete
    2. Kim, thanks for reading and for your comment. Means a lot! Don't be a stranger.

      Delete
    3. Raven, I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I can't imagine how you must feel. Everything I wrote in this post rings true. I'm glad you thought of me when thinking of how you wanted this to be done. Hit me on facebook and let me know how it went at the homegoing.

      God bless!

      Delete

Comment using either Facebook or Blogspot. Either way, leave a comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...