"If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you and you will find great things happen FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you."

Friday, February 24, 2012

In Pursuit of Passion: The Discovery of My Passion

On yesterday, my very first blog post, "In Pursuit of Passion: The Beginning of My Journey," received a comment that turned out to be a question...for me.  This question is very significant to the pursuit of my passion.    Notice that I am still saying "the PURSUIT of my passion."  You might ask, "I thought you found your passion?!"  Just because I discovered what my passion is doesn't give me the green light to turn on the red light and stop pursuing it.  For example, I found my future wife, my fiance, but I still pursue her.  The pursuit never ends.  The day you stop the pursuit will be the day the passion will begin to wither and die ...but I digress.
My reader, who is also my friend and co-worker, asked, "When did u realize writing was ur passion?"  Again, this question is so very significant to the pursuit of my passion.  I say this because it is so very important to celebrate the fact that you've accomplished what so many people in this world have been trying to do all their lives.  Yes, it is true that there are people who have been fortunate enough or, better yet, exposed enough to discover their passion at a young.  Remember, what I said in my last post, "In Pursuit of Passion: Exposure Is Key (Video), "One's passion can be found in the unlikely of places."  We must expose ourselves to different things.


I discovered my passion on last week, February 14, 2012, ironically on Valentines Day, ...at the tender age of 29, lol.  I used the descriptive word, ironic, because I found my PASSION on the day ...of LOVE.  Get it? ...passion ...love?  Ah, forget it!  Anyway, I had just received the new issue of the Christian magazine, Optimal Living Magazine, a magazine I have been blessed to write for and have my own column in called "True Confessions of a Saved Black Man," previously entitled "The Diary of a Single, Saved Black Man." I'm engaged now so we had to change the name of the column, lol..  I wrote and submitted this particular article, "Conditioning Myself ...To Love Unconditionally" about a month before.  It's weird because when I'm in the process of writing an article or a poem, I don't really think it's all that great ...but once time has had a chance to breathe on it, when I read it again ...it's like, "Was I the one who wrote this???  This is actually good!"  It's amazing to me.  Not to gloat at all, I look back at old poems from when I was a kid and say, "Wow, I wrote that at that age?"  I have been writing in different capacities nearly all my life.  

To be honest, I think the real reason I've always considered my writing ability to be a mere talent and not my passion is because I thought I couldn't make any money from it.  I've always thought that your passion had to be something that you love doing and will make you a lot of money ...like playing in the NBA, NFL, or becoming a doctor.  Looking up to Michael Jordan and people who make millions doing what they love, I thought your passion had to be something that made you a lot of money.  As I got older, I learned that YOUR PASSION IS YOU DOING SOMETHING YOU WOULDN'T MIND DOING ...FOR FREE!  Also, I truly believe that we were gifted with a passion, not only for us to benefit from, but for others to reap the benefits as well.  How can you change the world or your community with what you're passionate about?  How can you inspire others to pursue their passion?

In the very near future, I'll post why I KNOW writing is my passion.  You shouldn't be unsure about what your passion is.  You don't want to waste time pursuing something you thought was your passion...but was only a talent ...or obligation.  Been there ...been doing that for way too long!  I had been frolicking around my passion and didn't even know it!

Until next time ...keep pursuing your passion!

Leave a comment ...it encourages me to continue to pursue my passion.

Thanks,


Christoph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment using either Facebook or Blogspot. Either way, leave a comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...